It has come to my attention that at least one page on Facebook (who shall remain nameless) is trying to convince bands to participate in a multi-level marketing/pyramid scheme using “making it” as the bait. This is just so wrong on so many levels. Even if using this suddenly gave bands “infinite wealth” that doesn’t mean that every band will suddenly become huge. Money doesn’t buy success, though it may be a catalyst for it. What makes an artist/band successful is talent (or at least should be) and the hard work put forth by label reps, managers, agents, band-aids, etc. that are networking and making things happen. Knowledge of music business is essential. You can’t just wave money around and expect to sell out arenas while selling a million copies of every release. These people are just giving bands false hope and should be ashamed of themselves.
Here is the Facebook post I saw:
ATTENTION UNSIGNED BANDS ONLY
Big Things Are Now Coming Your Way From (omitted).
We’ve been working on putting together some really cool projects for up-and-coming bands.
Finally, we are officially launching one of these projects.
We are looking for at least 50 people (each belonging to a different band) who are looking for a real chance at making it in the metal music industry.
(*Not everyone will qualify to participate in this project, so please read the following carefully before deciding to participate.)
1. In order for you to qualify as a participant, you must:
• Be determined and seriously dedicated enough to make your band a true success.
• Be in an unsigned band that has at least 2 other members.
• Be 18 years of age or over.
• Have a valid form of ID (Such as: Driver’s License, Passport, State ID, Student ID).
• Own or legally have access to a valid credit or debit card.
• Have access to the Internet.
2. The 2 (or more) other members of your band must each:
• Be willing to participate in the project,
• Meet the same qualifications outlined above, and
• Be able to find at least two people from DIFFERENT bands that also meet all of the above qualifications.
If you meet the above qualifications, and want to participate in this project, go here:
We expect this project to do amazing things for you and your band’s future!
Then once you click the link that I intentionally left out, you come to a page that says…
*UNSIGNED BANDS ONLY!
Get $7,000 to $10,000
For Your Band
Over and Over Again!
We’re Changing Lives!
*IMPORTANT: If you are not truly serious about making this happen for you and your band, please do not fill out the information below. Many people are already doing big things with this after putting their hearts into it and following our project guidelines.
__________________________________________Enter Your Name & Email to Watch the Free Video Everyone is Talking About!
Notice how it says “Unsigned bands only” – why? I’m guessing it’s because labels have lawyers. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM! If stuff like this actually worked…nobody would work at a job and every company would be begging to give people jobs. Think about it….
-Max ‘ManJewky’ Wallis
KM Co-Founder / Blog Editor